Monday, January 30, 2012

I might be a hippie, but...

I talked with a friend not too long ago about the things we do and don't do with regard to parenting.  I would definitely say that some of the things I practice are hippie-esque.  In fact, many of the things I did before I had kids might be described as in line with a hippie lifestyle.  I met my husband while following a band.  We've seen the same band, followed quite publicly by hippies, at least 60 times.  We saw 6 shows in 7 days in 3 cities during one run, which included Widespread Panic and The Dead.  That was awesome.

So it isn't a big surprise that many of the things I practice as a mother are similar in categorization.  Attachment parenting might be another way to categorize many of the things we do.

I'm definitely a natural birthing, extended breastfeeding, baby wearing, non-circumcising, non cry-it-outing, cloth diapering and gentle disciplining mama.

...BUT...

There are also many things that might be considered hippie-esque or in line with attachment parenting that we don't practice.  For example, we don't delay vaccines.  We don't co-sleep.  While I feed my household whole and healthy foods, I do not buy organic.  We go to McDonald's sometimes.  I work full-time outside of the home.  There are things that might be expected of someone "like me" that just aren't things that I do.

We all have our *things*.

I'm not going to go into why I do the things I do, or why I don't do the things I don't do.  They are decisions I have made for various very personal reasons.  In it's most basic description, I've done the things that feel right to me.  That make sense to me.  That my doctor and I agree on.  That my husband and I think is best for our family.  The beauty of living in the country that we do is the basic fundamental right to make the decisions we have all made for our families.

I'm talking about this for no particular reason, just as a reminder to myself and to others that no one has it all figured out.  Categorizing the things I do doesn't mean assumptions can be made about ALL of the things that I do.  Or that anyone else does for that matter.  And we don't need to take so many things in life so seriously.

Here's a clip from a show called Portlandia, that is a new favorite of mine.  I love how it exaggerates eating locally grown food, something we do try and do, especially when eating out.  I love it.

I hope everyone is having a good Monday!