Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sew Good and Trendy!

My blogging pal, Gina, commented on my last post asking for a photo of the bag I paid a little too much for, so it got me digging.

I went digging around the Internet to spread the word about this amazing artist/designer and I can't believe what I found out.  Not only are all of her bags made from recycled and eco-friendly materials, but she also collects all of the decorative scraps from the very same local university where I did my graduate studies.

And not only that, but she is also legally blind.

I am continually amazed by the work this mother is doing and am spreading the love for her products not out of hopes of getting something back, but out of sheer respect for the way she has chosen to operate her business.

And I'm not one to put people with disabilities who have special talents up on a pedestal.  The fact that she can create such beautiful work despite her disability is what fascinates me.  I don't think she's some super-human or anything, just a very talented crafter who deserves recognitions for that.  The fact that she is legally blind just makes her more interesting.  If this doesn't make sense, just pick up the book "No Pity" by Joseph P. Shapiro, who explains it much better than I do.

So in my search I found a little TV spot showcasing her talents and included a picture of the bag that I no longer think I paid too much for.  Like most handmade goodies, it's like wearable art and is worth every penny!

Here's my new beautiful bag!
And here's the TV spot.


And I can't forget her website, which has a link to her etsy shop.