Thursday, December 23, 2010

'Twas the night before the night before Christmas

Twas the night before the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

Because when I opened the door to our pantry last Sunday and discovered 2 chewed bags of brown rice and more mouse poop than I had ever seen, I send N to the hardware store for mouse traps and caught the little bastard that first night!  Luckily he got the "kill and contain" ones so I didn't have to actually see the dead mouse.  Poor little guy.  But he shouldn't have been pooping in my pantry!  That's nasty.  I would have shared my brown rice with him if he hadn't pooped all over the place.  Eww, just eww.

This situation has added to my anxiety that has been leading to my decision to hire someone to clean our home.  My house is unclean.  Not just because there are mice running around (okay there WAS one, but you know what I mean).  The shower is also caked with soap scum, there is pet hair everywhere, and I can't seem to find time to clean the toilet in our bedroom.  I, with N's blessing (and with him almost begging) agreed to try it out.  That was 3 weeks ago and I haven't made one call yet.  I have a friend who owns a cleaning company and a woman who might very well be interested in doing it, but my pride is killing me!  With the promotion I got, we can afford this little luxury, especially because my rule of never taking work home might have to budge a little until I get some things under control.  So I just need to call.  It's not that hard.  I'm going to do it.  But maybe I should wait until after Christmas?  I should have time to clean a little on my vacation.  And in continues...

I have decided to take BBZ on a boot camp potty training adventure over the next 10 days.  Well, 8 actually because I need to be at home to do my little experiment, not out and about celebrating Christmas.  So Sunday it begins.  I plan to just let him run around without a diaper and see what happens.  Some plan, huh?  Part of me wouldn't mind if he stayed in diapers forever.  I mean, now I have complete control over when we deal with his bathroom activities.  I don't have to step out of a long line to take him potty.  Or worry about where every single bathroom is in a given location.  I get to diaper his bottom with cute and colorful cloth and I'm not quite sure that I am ready for this.  As for him...I really don't think he's ready.  But we're going for it anyway!

Christmas time makes me so happy.  I love the decorations and the family stuff and the anticipation of what BBZ's eyes will look like when he sees the toys on Christmas morning.  I can't wait!  I can't deny that I am also a little curious about some of those boxes that have my name on them :) Most of my excitement really is about how he is going to enjoy this day.  I can't wait!

The only thing I don't like about holidays is that I can't spend them with my immediate family.  My mom, dad, sister and nephew are way up in the far north for Christmas and I miss them terribly.  This year we plan to skype so they can watch some of the BBZ action.  I always feel like I've just seen them when we skype, so it will be as close to having them here as we can get!

Last weekend we went to the science center and had a blast! BBZ is a little young for some of the things there, but he still found things to keep him entertained. We happily ran into our old neighbors and friends, which was a wonderful surprise! Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure...








His hair is getting so long!  I tried cutting it again tonight.  I swore I would leave the barber-business to the barber from the last haircut forward, but I got impatient and cheap and gave it a good old fashion try.  It's not......terrible, but it's not the best haircut in the world either.  We might have to make a quick stop for a Christmas Eve haircut in the morning.  Lesson learned, okay!?!