Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Now We're Talkin': LBZ Edition

LBZ has had the same few words since he was 12 months old.  He used them sparingly over the last almost 6 months, but he rarely came up with a new one.  Those words are:

Ball
Bath
Mama
Dada
More
Milk
All Done
Up
Brother
Delilah
Hi There
Thank You

And I think that's it.  I really try not to compare the boys, especially because I think BBZ's crazy good language skills weren't really typical for his age (ever), but I couldn't help but be a little concerned by LBZ's reluctance to use the words he knew and to come up with some new ones.

All of that changed in the last week.

Literally, in the last 5 or so days, LBZ has said the following words, in addition to the ones on the list above:

Elmo
Oswald
Cracker
Mine
Football
My Football
Isaac
Hi Kitty
Diaper
Mommy
Blanket
Colin
Apple Juice
Balloon

And I think that's it.  Although by tomorrow he could add another list at this rate.  He often repeats what we say and will use the words he knows more regularly.  At last, the talking has begun.

I love this.  I love that he is more able to communicate with N and me.  Because I must say that N and I were really struggling with not knowing what he wants.  He was getting very easily frustrated with us as we tried to figure out what he was trying to tell us.  He would throw himself on the floor and roll around yelling and screaming when we didn't get what he wanted (I think it was more about us not understanding than him not getting what he wants, but it certainly could be both).

So here we are.  We have two little talkers.  Maybe now they will talk to each other and give N and I a break!  BBZ is a chatter box :)