Saturday, May 14, 2011

Viability

This week marks 24 weeks, which is also when the pregnancy calendars start talking about viability.

According to dictionary.com, viability is defined as:
–adjective
1. capable of living.
2. Physiology . a. physically fitted to live. b. (of a fetus) having reached such a stage of development as to be capable of living, under normal conditions, outside the uterus.

This is pretty hard for me to believe considering our little babe weighs only about 1.5 pounds.  But it does give me comfort that babies born at this stage might be able to survive.  One thing I know for sure is that I have absolutely no control over what is going to happen.  It's a lesson I learned while pregnant with BBZ and one he continues to teach me as a toddler.  I often wish I could control him and his little bubble in the world, but what will be, will be, and I have to just have faith that things will work out as they are meant to.

So here's a 24 week belly shot!
It's really hard to take these myself, so I think I might have N take the next one, whenever that will be!  I took one every other week throughout my entire pregnancy with BBZ.  This one has 2.  The one above and the one at 10 weeks.  It is true what they say about second pregnancies!

We are narrowing down the baby's name.  I have my very favorite, which was even his name in a dream I had.  It was a strange dream that was much like the one I had about him the night before we found out he is a boy.  Ironically, his initials would be LHZ, pretty close to LBZ, huh!?!  I remember choosing a name being hard, but I don't remember it being this hard.  It's fun, but also hard having things up in the air.

I have an intense need to nest, but I can't really because BBZ's playroom is going to be LBZ's room.  I don't want to change too much of his world all at once, so we are slowly making changes to that room.  I really want to put the crib up and get things situated, but it seems weird to take away his playroom already.

Overall I have been feeling pretty good.  I've had terrible hip pain throughout this whole pregnancy, which I hopes goes away after this little man arrives.  I can finally eat cooked vegetables again without gagging and have decided to keep my vice of one Diet Pepsi per day.  I tried so hard to stop drinking soda like I did with BBZ, but I just can't do it this time.  I have to cut myself some slack and make through the day.

I feel him kick all day.  He has hiccups a lot.  I'm in the best part of pregnancy, the second trimester, and it is living up to the expectations.  I am enjoying these final months with BBZ as an only child and look forward to our growing family at the end of the summer.  I can't complain!