Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Truthful Tuesdays - Letting Go




It's Tuesday again, and time to get truthful!  Elizabeth over at Confessions from a Working Mom asks us this week:

How has motherhood taught you to let go?

Now that I have made it through the first year of motherhood, I already notice differences between this year and last, as far as my mothering goes.  I think I have let my expectations go.  My expectations of myself, of BBZ, of my husband, and just let things be as they are, because they are just fine!  I know BBZ wakes up at night when he doesn't feel well, so I go and nurse him back to sleep.  I've let go of my worry that this will be a habit and I just do it.  I have let go of the expectation that BBZ will always behave when we are out.  I am prepared to leave if we have to because he, like the rest of us, has bad days too.  I am trying to let go of the fact that N just doesn't hear the monitor.  If I want him to get up with BBZ, I have to wake him up and ask him to get up.  That's just the way it is.  I understand now that BBZ is going to get sick...a lot.  I am going to have to miss work and pay copays and it's going to be expensive.  It sucks, but that's life.  I have accepted that I cannot cook 100% healthy fresh foods for my family all the time.  Gerber foods are not poison and having some in the cabinet are helpful when N and I eat leftovers or order something BBZ won't eat.  It's ok...he's not going to go into some sort of food hypnosis.  Mostly healthy food is better than no healthy food.

So I guess my point is that I had certain expectations of the kind of perfect mother I would be.  I am letting some of those expectations go and rolling with the punches.  It is actually quite refreshing!

4 comments:

  1. I've also learned to be prepared to leave places-- like church, a restaurant, even a playdate-- at a moment's notice if things get out of hand! Here's to "rolling with the punches"!

    ~Elizabeth
    Confessions From A Working Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to terms with the whole food thing years ago when I realized that at least there are no preservatives in the Gerber foods! That made me feel better. And when I spent the extra few cents on organic, it really helped. I'm with you on the men not hearing the monitor, too. What in the world is up with that????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think letting go can sometimes make you a better parent. As BBZ gets older your rolling with the punches now will really help when he has a mind of his own:-) I have a feeling he will as spirited, if not more, than you and N because of the love, acceptance and freedom that you give him.

    ReplyDelete