Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My first day off work!

So today was the first day off since switching to a 4-day work week. I got a lot done, but not as much as I hoped because I am getting sick...again. I went to bed Sunday with a scratchy throat and it has turned into a very persistent, and very aggravating, cough. I hate coughing so much because while I feel the Swine Flu hysteria was just that {powered by an American media who loves to try and scare the pants off of every American by highlighting a disease that presents about 1/10,000th (I made that part up) of the chance of dying as say, the regular flu} I try to see the positive in any situation and this has made me pay more attention to washing my hands and coughing into my sleeve. Well, when you are coughing say, 50 times an hour, the sleeve coughing gets old. So my day started this morning by going to pick up something I bought from Craig's List and tried to get in to see my doctor. He had one appointment on Friday afternoon and I couldn't make it. She asked if I wanted to schedule for Monday. I sure hope I'm not still sick Monday! I should just go back to the Walgreen's place because I tried to wait it out last time and we all know how that turned out. So I am hoping to magically wake up tomorrow and be all healed. We'll see. Then I went to the tailor and had some pants measured to be hemmed. Then I went to Whole Foods and got some pears and sweet potatoes for BBZ. We tried the pears tonight and he loved them! I have only given him veggies until now, so he had the funny lemon face at first, but he adjusted to the flavor and seemed to enjoy it. His teacher asked for me to send him more food because he seems to still be hungry after she feeds him what I send. He must be going through a growth spurt! Then I went to Wal-mart to get a few things. We finally bought windows for our 2 bathroom windows and N scheduled the guy to come today since I was home anyway. I did most of my cleaning last weekend and last night, which I was pretty happy about because this sickness kind of knocked me out this afternoon. I got some good rest and did light things like make BBZ's food and hang up his curtains. I sure had a lot to do on my "day off"! There is no way I could have gotten all of this done if I hadn't sent the little guy to school. I'm feeling a bit guilty about it, but I know it was good for me to have this first day to get things in order. The rest of the Wednesdays will be for us. There is something new with this little guy every day...he's getting a 3rd tooth! It's the top one on his right side. It looks huge! I guess those teeth are pretty big, but it still surprised me since they are so much bigger than the bottom ones. I'll try to get a picture, but I may have to wait until it comes in further. His smile focuses mostly on his bottom teeth. What a busy day. I'm not real excited about work tomorrow, but at least it is already Thursday! I have a crazy busy weekend coming up, including my very first night away from BBZ. They say a mother and her breastfeeding child are not soon parted, but this weekend will be our first. I'm trying to not freak out about it...some days are better than others as far as my anxiety level. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy myself. I was going to save this post for another day since this has become so long, but I might as well keep going since I opened the can of worms. We're going to see Yonder Mountain String Band both Friday and Saturday nights. My very good friend Nikki said she would come over with her beautiful little girls and sit here while the little man sleeps on Friday. That works out great because the venue is right up the street and it would suck to have to wake him up late to take him home from somewhere. Which is what brings us to Saturday night. N's parents are going to watch him, but they live about 35 minutes away and going to pick him up would be difficult for us and for him. The underlying issue in all of this is alcohol. I don't drink anymore, mostly because I breastfeed, but I also am just not really that interested anymore. When I got pregnant was the longest I have ever gone without drinking. My friends always partied, I always partied, it was just a part of my life. Well, that all changed when I got pregnant. I started to understand why people don't drink. I always thought a beer or two lightened me up and made conversing easier, but I actually feel the opposite now. I am more comfortable in a crowd and in new places being completely sober that I remember being after a beer or 2. So I guess this weekend I am *supposed* to want to let loose, I'm *supposed* to take advantage of having him away from me all night and really get to throw a few back. Well, I think I would rather have a beer or 2 early in the night, sober up and go pick him up! I'm not going to do that though. I am going to trust that he will be just fine with his grandma and bottles and be so happy to be reunited with him on Mother's Day! I also think this will be good for N and me. To have the house to ourselves will be great for us. Our relationship is extremely important and I know I have to tend to it as well as to our son, so this will be ok. I probably still won't party like I am *supposed* to. The mom-ness doesn't go away just because he is away from me. I think I will always have in the back of my mind that I need to be able to drive and get to him if I need to. Plus, I have had fun at shows and parties without drinking for over a year. I can't wait to see Yonder!