Sunday, March 22, 2009

If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is...

Ok, so I tried my luck at the second-hand diapers I bought and have decided to give up hope that these will work for us. I tried them out 2 weekends ago and he leaked out of every single one I put on his bottom. First I thought it was the fit, so I adjusted them. Then I drove to the diaper store in south county and explained what was going on with them. She suggested I strip them, which is a deep cleaning method used when diapers have been exposed to harsh detergents or diaper cream. She said if it is really bad I can use a toothbrush with the stripping liquid and hand-scrub each diaper to get the cream off. She said that it is fixable. So I took them home and stripped them, sure it would work. I tried each evening of the following week and he still leaked. So last weekend I drove back to the diaper store because I was convinced that he is a heavy wetter and bought some additional inserts that will certainly catch all of his pee. That didn't work either. Luckily I didn't pre-wash all of them so I can take them back if I don't end up using them. So again this week I tried them and still pee everywhere. I was about to give up when I remembered the ladies suggestion about the toothbrush. I took the diaper over to the sink and got it ready. I ran water from the sink directly into the diaper and it literally pooled up and did not penetrate the diaper at all. It is as though the part of the diaper that is supposed to soak in the pee is waterproof! No wonder they won;t absorb his pee. So I mixed the concoction and scrubbed just the blue ones with the toothbrush to see if it would work. That was yesterday. Today I held the diaper under the faucet and it still repelled water. That's it...I am done! I know this is supposed to be easier, and I have learned that this is something that is worth the investment because of my dedication to the environment and to using these with BBZ and our next baby. So I listed them on eBay. Now I hope to at least get what I paid for them so I can invest my money into new ones that come with warranties, but I also do not want to fool someone else into thinking these are ok. I listed them with the honest description that makes them sound less-than perfect. I hope to make my money back and to keep karma on my side. I also emailed the lady I bought them from and she said some of them were new to her and some were used, but all of them stopped working for her daughter because she got big and had too much pee so they leaked. I think that's BS, but at least she emailed me back. I really can't blame her, there is a certain about of risk you take by purchasing used. I just hope I can make enough money back to invest in some brand new diapers for my little man. Oh, what a saga. I so wanted these to work! I am sure I will find some that do, even if I end up spending more money. I still think it's worth it to use cloth.