Friday, May 27, 2011

The post in which I drop the F-Bomb.

There has been a lot going on around our home lately.  Lots of playing outside, dodging tornadoes, playing in the basement, pretending to use pacifiers, setting up stationary play sets, you know...the usual :)

Actually, time is really going by fast.  BBZ is moving into the next classroom up starting after this holiday weekend.  He's such a big boy!  He is actually kind of being held back a classroom since he is now the youngest.  His birthday isn't until September, and since all but three other little boys have already turned 3 in his classroom, he will move into the room with the other kiddos who will be turning three this year.  He's basically moving from being the youngest to being one of the oldest.  It was only a matter of time before this would happen, so I'd rather it happen now than when he is 4 or 5 and has to see his friends leave daycare to go to school and he stays back.

So it is a bit bittersweet though.  I really, really love his teachers and don't even know his new ones since one is a new hire and the other is from the sister school.  I did meet one and she seems great.  I had a bad experience with one of the teachers who was in that room so I am quite relieved that she is no longer in the room.  Did I tell that story?  I don't think I did.  I'll do the short version.

While picking up BBZ one day, I saw a commotion in the front of the room.  The teacher walked from the area to the desk and back with something purple in her hand.  She proceeded to tape two of a child's fingers together really tightly with this purple tape while lecturing him on why he should not pick his nose.  All of this right in front of me!  She then walked back to the desk and got some scissors.  She tried to cut off the tape and I heard her say that she made it too tight because she could hardly get the tape off.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

I left with BBZ and asked him if she ever did that to him.  He said no, but I still felt like I had to do something.  I emailed the co-director and reported what I saw.  I know BBZ isn't perfect, but what she did was punishment, not teaching.  The co-director responded and said she would make sure the issue was addressed.  I never heard anything more, but pick-ups were awkward after that.

The funny thing is, BBZ did not pick his nose for the longest time.  I'd have to hold him down and get it clean because it would get so nasty.  So quite honestly, I am a little happy that he learned how!  We do work on using tissues though.

So anyway, I was relieved that she is not going to be a full-time teacher of his.

There is a huge pool at his school that I get to walk past each day when I drop him off and pick him up.  It has this beautiful crisp, clear water and smells like chlorine and suntan lotion.  BBZ gets to swim 2 times/week there during their summer camp.  I am so happy that he is at a school with such fun programs!

-----

Tomorrow morning we will drop Delilah off at the groomer/kennel, drop BBZ off at N's sister's house and head out to Kansas City!  It is a very small getaway, but I need it terribly!  We are going to do some touristy stuff and see the band that first brought N and me together - Widespread Panic.  My early 20s revolved around this band and I have so many wonderful memories that they are directly involved in.  My blog is named after one of there songs.  I just cannot wait for LBZ to *see* them too!  BBZ saw them in utero as well, so it seems only fair :)

-----

Does anyone else feel a ridiculous amount of pressure with regard to what you should eat and drink?  Maybe it's just because I am pregnant, but that song "Under Pressure" has been echoing in my mind as of late.

I was talking with an almost stranger at work (someone I don't know very well but work with) early one morning.  I said that I was having trouble formulating my thoughts because I hadn't had my caffeine yet.  She glanced at my belly and I saw what she was thinking.  I saw judgement, and started defending myself saying that I allow myself 1 diet soda each day but try and wait as long as I can in case I can make it without one.  She looked right at me and said that diet soda was one of the worst things I could drink and she only drinks coffee and I should stop or at least drink regular and on and on she went...totally uninvited.

Ok, this may seem passive aggressive, but it's my blog and I will say what I want here even if (and probably especially if) I am not able to say what I really want to say when I want to say it.

Since December of 2007......
I have been either pregnant or breastfeeding.  Yes, the whole time.
I have taken only extra strength Tylenol, sudafed or amoxicillin.
And one Claritin that I regretted when it dried up my milk.
I can count on one hand how many times I have been drunk (no, I am not kidding)
I gained 50 pounds with BBZ and lost 55.
I have not gained as much with this pregnancy.
I track my food intake and try to provide for the other beings who are now or have previously relied on my body to survive.
I have never cursed on my blog...until now.

I deserve a fucking diet soda...I'm just sayin'.

The other issue is that never in my life have I ever been overweight.  Besides the seasonal allergies that I have obviously overcome by not having to take an allergy pill in 3.5 years, I am very healthy.

N recently lost 12 pounds (great work honey!) and he was telling me that he is actually still considered overweight by definition because of his weight/height ratio.  He would actually have to lose another 20 pounds to be considered at a healthy weight!  That is crazy because he looks amazing and would look way too skinny if he lost that much.

It got me interested in where I fall so I did some poking around.  Apparently, I would have to gain 20 pounds more than my pre-pregnancy weight to be considered overweight, and that pre-pregnancy weight (118 pounds) is the most I have ever weighed in my life (besides when pregnant).

So long story short, I have never had a weight problem, so the pressure I feel about what I eat should really let up a bit.  Perhaps I have been lucky...I'm sure part of it is my genes, but most of it is because I eat well and pay attention to the things I put into my body.  I do not need to count every thing that goes in.  I do not need to freak out if I eat a few cookies one day.  And for god's sake...I can have a damn diet soda.

Ok, passive aggressive time is over.

-----

I have lots of fun trips coming up.  Tomorrow is one, then Chicago for work in June, a father's day trip to see my family, another work trip in July...and I guess that's it.  It probably should be it as traveling in one's 9th month of pregnancy is usually frowned upon.  Summer trips are set and I can't wait.

I hope everyone has a fun holiday weekend planned!