Thursday, February 19, 2009

Someone forgot to tell BBZ that he is suppossed to be sick!

So a couple of weeks ago BBZ got a runny nose. I called the doctor and spoke to the nurse practitioner who said that if he develops a fever I should bring him in, but otherwise a runny nose is something that just goes along with being in daycare. The runny nose cleared up for about 5 days, but then last Saturday it came back with a vengeance. This time it was yellow and nasty and he was a little crabby, which is very odd for him...he is ALWAYS happy. So there was still no fever, so after a wonderful 3-day weekend with Meme and Papa, I sent him to school on Tuesday with a snot sucker and some saline nose spray. I called the doctor Tuesday afternoon and spoke to the nurse practitioner again. She said without a fever it's probably nothing, but since it has been going on for a while she suggested that I come in if it doesn't clear up soon. BBZ seemed great yesterday, we even met with the Parents as Teachers lady who kept him up past his regular bedtime. Then at about 10pm he woke up and cried. This is unlike him anyway, but I knew something was up by the 3rd and 4th times he woke up and couldn't settle himself back down. He was so tired, but couldn't self sooth, so I would pick him up and instantly he would fall back to sleep, then the second I laid him back down he would cry...hard. So we moved his swing upstairs around midnight and he slept in there until about 2:30am. He woke up and I held him in bed with me on the boppy until he fell asleep again. I am pretty scared of having him in the bed with us, so I put him back in the swing and he slept there until about 6am. He woke up again and I fed him and did the boppy in bed thing, which worked. He woke up at around 7:30am, which is his normal wake-up time, with no cries or anything. So I called in to work today and was able to get him an appointment with a nurse practitioner at his doctor's office. He has a ear infection on his right ear...poor baby. It's not severe and despite my insistence, the doctor tried to convince me that I didn't cause this by waiting too long to take him to see her. I gave him his first dose of amoxicillin and he has been sleeping most of the day. He is full of smiles when he is awake, much like in the picture that was taken about an hour ago. So it's safe to say that we have survived his first ailment! Maybe I should say...I have survived his first ailment! He is none the wiser...


  1. I always wait too long to bring L to the doctor symptoms with an ear infection, no fever with bronchitis. We are lucky to have such happy boys. :)

  2. What a happy boy . . . ear infection and all. We miss you all already.